Mentoring opportunities will be offered in three different ways during SUMMIT.
- Mentors will provide feedback at 3 different points in the program
- During the two week period from July 25th – 27th, the group will visit StartUp business locations of a variety of stages, sizes and different industries
- SUMMIT Connects, Mentoring, Networking and Graduation event will take place on Friday, July 28th
- Participants must be between the ages of 18 to 29 years
- All participants must bring to SUMMIT an open and collaborative approach to entrepreneurship
- Everyone in the group is attending SUMMIT to develop their skills and their business concept. The learning process will be exponential if all participants are willing to learn from each other
- SUMMIT is open to current Algonquin students, Algonquin Alumni and non- Algonquin students (as long as you are between the ages of 18 – 29)
- Two students can collaborate on one business concept but each must apply separately
- Business concepts must be beyond the idea stage – participant will need to have entered the planning stage by conducting research or starting the business planning process
- Participants must attend 90% of workshops and document their learning, findings and plan in a business canvas/workbook
- All participants will display their product/offering at Applied Research Day in August (date TBD).
- SUMMIT takes place from 9am-12pm and 1pm-4pm. Participants are given an hour at lunch to set up meetings and deal with outside issues. Participants are responsible for catching up on missed workshops as all materials will be made accessible
- Participants must bring a laptop
- Paid Parking is available over the summer months through the College’s Parking Office
- Participants will be required to bring paper, pen and a phone in addition to a laptop
- As part of the application process, all participants will be requested to sign a SUMMIT Participation Agreement that will include various conditions, including those outlined above
- The Participation Agreement will cover confidentiality of business ideas shared among participants during SUMMIT
Students are required to complete an online application that will include a series of questions about their business /product/service/idea (see below).
Applications will be screened and those selected will be required to pitch their business idea to a panel of judges.
Pitches will include an overview of the submission in 5 slides and no more than 7 minutes in length. A small panel of judges will have 8 minutes to ask questions.
From those pitches, the judges will select the 20 SUMMIT participants.
Required Application Information:
- Algonquin email, alternative email, and cell number
- Product/Service description including: an overview, specific features, who you think will buy your business/product/service/idea, and what you think is unique about your offering
- What the inspiration for your business/product/service/idea was
- How you have validated your business/product/service/idea to date
- How far you are in the planning process
- Do you have partners you are planning to work with on this venture? What are their roles?
- Tell us why you should be selected to participate in SUMMIT
- How do you plan to spend your stipend (between $2000-3000) at this time? (Be honest!)
The name, email address and phone number of a professor, employer or coach who can speak to your entrepreneurial spirit and ability to get the job done
The Summit Application Process and Timing:
Deadline for participant applications is May 1st at midnight
Pitches will take place May 3rd between 10:00am and 1:00pm
Notice of Acceptance will be sent to participants on May 4th
SUMMIT INFORMATION SESSION
A SUMMIT Information Session will be held on
Wednesday, February 3rd, 2016 from 1 – 2PM
in the AC HUB (Student Common’s building, Second Floor)