The Algonquin Students’ Association (SA) abides by the Liquor Licence Act of Ontario and employs fully trained, Smart Serve certified professional staff to ensure the safe and responsible service of alcohol at all times within our licensed venues. With your cooperation, the staff of the Algonquin Students’ Association will follow these rules:
Monitoring the Entrance
- During licensed events, our venues will have licensed security staff placed at the entrances and exits to ensure the safety of patrons, maintain order, prevent situations that may lead to bodily harm or physical damage, and attend to individuals as required.
- If any person is intoxicated before entry, security staff will deny them entry to the licensed venue.
- All patrons must carry photo identification (ID) when in an SA licensed venue, and all patrons who appear to be under the age of 25 will have their ID checked – although the SA reserves the right to ID any patron at any time.
- Acceptable forms of photo ID include: Ontario Drivers Licence, Canadian Passport, AGCO BYID Card, Citizenship Card, Canadian Armed Forces ID Card, Permanent Residence Card (Canadian Issued), Secure Indian Status Card (Canadian Issued) or a photo card issued by Photo Card Act of Ontario.
- Patron & bag checks will be carried out to ensure that patrons are not under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, or possessing any prohibited items.
- Security staff will determine if a patron will be allowed access to the venue/event. If a person is belligerent prior to entering the licensed venue, they will be denied entry.
- In order to maintain a safe, fun, and efficient environment, we must deny entry when the premises are at our venue capacity – please note that some event set-ups can reduce our capacity limits.
- When door security staff are not required on site (for example, on non-event days and during private rentals), then the bar service staff on duty will check ID’s to ensure the patron is of legal age and has the proper ID on their person.
- During any events presented by the SA, patrons will receive a coloured bracelet. There will be at least 2 different colours, one of which will always be used to easily identify an underage patron. All patrons need the appropriate bracelet on in order to be served at the bar.
- Any alcohol consumed on premises must be purchased from the licensed venue.
- All guests must be at least 19 years of age or older with approved government issued photo ID to be served and to consume alcohol.
- No individual guest will be served more than 2 drinks at a time.
- The Algonquin SA reserves the right to limit the number of drinks sold to each patron at any one time.
- Bar service staff will not serve patrons to the point of intoxication, and have the right to refuse service to any guest.
- Illegal alcohol will be confiscated and not returned to the guest.
- For the safety and security of our staff and patrons, troublesome behaviour in or around our venues is unacceptable.
- Troublesome behaviours include: vandalism, fighting, selling/using illegal drugs, sexual harassment, physical or verbal abuse, belligerence, or any behaviour that places themselves or others at an elevated risk of injury or harm. Persons involved in any troublesome behaviour, will be asked to leave the premises immediately and the Management reserves the right to indefinitely ban entry to these patrons as well as to contact the police should circumstance require.
- The Management of the venue(s) reserve the right to discontinue service, and/or close the venue.
- Staff will always assist customers who inform them that they need a safe way home. Patrons are encouraged to ask a staff member for assistance.
- Under-aged patrons are permitted to attend events inside SA venues, unless those events are advertised as 19+.
- Those under the age of 19 who attempt to purchase or consume alcohol will be removed from the premises and may face other disciplinary action from the SA.
- If an underage guest is found to be holding or consuming alcohol, they will be removed from the premises and may face other disciplinary action from the SA.
- If a 19+ guest is caught supplying an underage guest with alcohol, they will be removed from the premises and may face other disciplinary action from the SA.
Food and Non-Alcohol Beverages
- Licensed venues will always offer food and non-alcohol beverages at competitive prices to patrons. Food will be available until the service of alcohol is completed.
- The Observatory & The Landing will offer designated drivers 2 free fountain drinks at events. The designated driver will need to identify themselves to the bar staff and turn in their car keys. At their time of departure, if they have not consumed any alcohol they will receive their keys back. If they have consumed alcohol, they will have to return the next day to retrieve their keys.
We are pleased to share these rules and information with our valued customers. If you have any questions or concerns, please speak to the manager on duty.View House Alcohol Policy as a PDF